Monday, August 16, 2010

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes: Part 1

I've been waiting all weekend for this! Here are my responses from chapters 1-10 of The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes. Check out Book Beginning & Bookends for more responses.

1. What was your first impression of Tim?
I thought Tim was questionable from the beginning. I envisioned him taking advantage of her, and I'm pretty sure that is what will unfold. Maybe I'm speaking from personal experience, but I definitely got the vibe of an older man preying on this sweet, innocent girl. In fact, I called my sister (who is also reading) and the first words out of my mouth were, "I HATE TIM!"


2. If you were in CeeCee’s position, would you be willing to help your boyfriend in the way that she is willing to help Tim?
Knowing me, I probably would. Ha! Most of the time, I don't think things through, and I would think that helping him would somehow prove my love to him. I think that's what CeeCee is trying to do. She doesn't want to let him down.


3. Why do you think CeeCee is so eager to please Tim?
CeeCee lost her mother at a young age, so I think she is trying to find that deep love & connection that is now gone. She never had a relationship with her father, so I'm pretty sure that has something to do with it too. Also, we all pretty much assume that Tim gave her the money for college, so she feels an obligation to do whatever he asks.


4. Who do you think has it harder? Tim or CeeCee?
Um, do we even need to ask this question? I'm totally team CeeCee. She has it so hard! She is totally alone in this world. The only thing she feels she has to cling to is Tim, who happens to be a total jerk in my opinion. It's sad to see this young girl holding onto the dream of being with Tim forever... I haven't read ahead, but I fear that's not how things are going to end up.


5. What character trait(s) about CeeCee stuck out the most to you in these first ten chapters?
Her loyalty, maturity & courage stood out to me the most.


6. Do you think CeeCee is as mature as she seems?
I think CeeCee wants to appear more mature than she really is. She has been through many struggles in her  life, and was forced to grow up a lot quicker than she should have. She is still a young girl and still has a lot of growing up to do -- especially realizing that people are not always as they seem.

8 comments:

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

totally agree with #6. she so wants to be mature, but she just isn't yet.

so glad you're reading along!

Jennifer said...

I agree, sometimes it is hard to not go along with things just because the guy is older and "wiser". But with Christ, we can do it!

Lauren said...

Totally agree with all your answers and love them and enjoyed reading your take on the first 10 chapters!! :)

Leah said...

Yes, I hate Tim too! Loved your answer to #6. She wants to appear mature but definitely has a lot of growing up to do!

Brooke said...

Loved reading your thoughts on this! I agree w/#6. CeeCee tries to appear mature, but in reality she is just a child. My heart breaks for her b/c I feel like she doesn't have a clue what she's about to get herself into.

Bayleigh said...

I agree- I was way suspicious of Tim from the second he started his smooth talking! Poor CeeCee. :/

Karen and Gerard said...

I didn't like Tim from the start either. I really think he's just using CeeCee and she's finally beginning to see it, I think, I hope! His brother is scary!

http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2010/08/book-club-read-secret-life-of-ceecee.html

rebekah said...

I'm hoping that Tim redeems himself later on in the book, but I don't know if that's likely to happen.